Frequently Asked Questions
When does camp begin filling up?
- While there is no exact answer to this question, we generally have groups that begin filling up around mid March.
What is the ratio of campers to counselors?
- At Burr Oak Camp we strive to keep the camper to counselor ratio at 4:1 for Junior Camp and 7:1 for Senior Camp. In addition to the counselors that are with campers throughout their day, all activities have an adult teacher in charge of the period.
What if my child can not swim at all?
- We will place children in ability groups on the first day of each session. From there, lifeguard swim instructors will work with those groups throughout the two week session. They will work on everything from confidence of getting into the pool to proper swimming strokes.
What times does camp begin and end?
- Drop off begins at 8:45 and the camp day begins at 9:00. Pick up begins at 2:45 and all campers should be picked up by 3:00.
What if I need to pick up my child early?
- Please contact the camp desk via telephone (314-993-4045 x249) or through e-mail the day your child needs to leave early. This way we can get them where they need to be.
What happens if I need a refund?
- Full refunds are available through April 30th
During the month of May, a $50 fee per session is applied to all campers requesting a refund
Beginning June 1st, there are no refunds
Is it possible to attend only one week of camp?
- If you are having trouble working around vacations or other summer experiences, please contact the Burr Oak office. One week prorated attendance is an option for each session as well as for the extended day program.
What does my child need to bring to camp?
- Swimsuit and towel marked with your child's name
Water bottle if desired (again marked with your child's name)
A change of dry clothes
Goggles if your child would like to use them in the pool. Don't forget to mark them with your name!
Is lunch provided?
- Yes, a hot lunch is provided everyday. Here is the LUNCH MENU (this will be updated when the 2020 menu is available).
- You are welcome to provide your own lunch to your camper. Please keep in mind that we are a peanut / tree nut aware camp, so your packed lunch should contain none of these items.
What is the daily rate for before / after care?
- Morning care - $15 per day per camper
Afternoon care - $25 per day per camper
When will I receive more camp information?
After you have registered your child for camp, in May you will receive a packet with more specific information.
Can my child bring toys an electronics to camp?
The short answer is no. We at Burr Oak can not be responsible for the things your child brings to camp and we know how valuable and important those things can be to families. This will also prevent the unfair trading of Pokemon Cards. Please help us encourage your children to leave them in the car and play with them when they get picked up.
What if my child needs to take medication during the camp day?
All medications will be administered through our RN camp nurse. Please visit our Healthcare Information page for more details.
When and where does my child sign up for electives?
For those campers who have finished 4th and 5th grades and C.I.T.s, electives will be available to you. Elective information will be emailed out before the start of camp. Campers will choose their electives on the first day of each session.
What if I need a tax receipt from camp?
After the completion of the session, please email us at here for a tax receipt. We will get it out to you as soon as possible.